Home Forums Introductions Christmas Music… Reply To: Christmas Music…

• BlondeBeard1689

November 20, 2020 at 4:48 am

You mentioned a few that I’m not sure if I’m familiar with, I’ll have to look into them. I appreciate that you included the Hallelujah Chorus, hearing Handel’s Messiah performed live by the Jacksonville Symphony last year was actually instrumental(pun intended) in my deciding on my preferences on when I’d like to sing Christmas music. Since it begins with songs about the advent of Christ, continues to His birth and on through His life, death, burial, resurrection, ascendancy, and reign over heaven and earth I began to see the intent of separating the celebrations of Advent and Christmas. The idea is that throughout the month of December the anticipation Christ’s coming is re-lived and culminates with Christmas Eve. Then the next twelve days are a giant party celebrating the glory of Christ’s birth, it ends one year and begins the next showing that Christ is King of both(If we celebrated like this, I know for my part I’d be a lot less likely to despair as New Year’s approached, and my birthday seeing that it’s the 29th).

But anyway, I love the Hallelujah Chorus and the rest of Messiah. When my younger brother and I went to that performance of it last year everyone stood during the Hallelujah Chorus as is tradition, but at the end of the song(and at a secular performance mind you) my brother clapped loudly and shouted at the top of his voice, “Amen!”. I’m pretty sure I saw one of the soprano soloists start to tear up, I had never been more proud to claim him as my bro. I hope if you haven’t you’ll take the time to listen to Handel’s Messiah in its entirety(be sure to have the lyrics pulled up), it’s good for the heart.

And for the record…I am listening to my previously mentioned Christmas playlist at this very moment, haha =D

New Report

Close