Home Forums Introductions Christmas Music… Reply To: Christmas Music…

• Anonymous

Deleted User
    November 20, 2020 at 4:21 am

I’m afraid I haven’t been on Spotify in a few years, so I find that I can’t seem to navigate it at the moment. But I would have to disagree about the timing of Christmas music even if I am in the minority – if every Sunday is Resurrection Day, we can surely celebrate the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ any day of the year!! 🙂 No more let sin and sorrows grow, nor thorns infest the ground – He comes to make His blessings flow far as the curse is found! (from Isaac Watts’ wonderful paraphrase of Psalm 98, which we know simply as “Joy to the World”).

Carol of the Bells – both the traditional choral/symphonic version, and Trans-Siberian Orchestra’s fabulous Christmas Eve Sarajevo-12/24. Their Ghosts of Christmas Eve DVD tells a nice musical story about a runaway girl needing to be returned home – I have enjoyed TSO’s Christmas work and storytelling quite a bit over the years. They do a really good job of expressing the really hard stuff of life, and there seems to be a longing for that which only God can provide (which they do not have). Their March of Kings/Hark the Herald Angels Sing from the Christmas Attic album is impressive guitar work (as is much of their stuff). Good King Joy (from Christmas Eve and Other Stories) is probably my favorite of their vocal Christmas music.

As a member of choir and congregation, I really enjoy singing Angels We Have Heard on High; God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen; the Hallelujah Chorus; and Lo, How a Rose E’er Blooming.

You gotta love the lyrics to Good King Wenceslas: “Bring me flesh and bring me wine…”

New Report

Close